Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands on Arm

Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Version: 1.2rc1
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 01:22

Just a question if I may, Has anyone managed to get Widelands running on an Arm Tablet. I have a tablet that could conceivaibly run widelands (the tablet has both the graphic and cpu horsepower to do so) but I dont have the space on my laptop to setup a full build system in order to compile it for the Arm. I'm not looking for an executable download here, just wether it has been done, if so I may find the time and resources myself after I finish other projects to attempt it. Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

The aussies are coming, ya ho! ya ho!

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 02:05

Well, first of all, Widelands controls probably don't work well (or at all) on touchscreen (https://github.com/widelands/widelands/issues/428), so you may need to attach a keyboard and a mouse.

Then it depends also on what OS you have on that tablet. Flathub is supposed to build Widelands for ARM64 too, but I believe flatpaks can only run on plain GNU/linux systems, but not on android. I have no idea about the differences between w*ndows on tablets and desktop computers...

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 04:07

Thanks for the reply, My tablet is an ARM android device. I was planning to spend some time looking through the build system, after all Flare runs just fine on my tablet after I built it for that device. I havent had the time to examine this idea more closely, but I do have a software mouse (using an eight point compass) that could work.The keyboard isnt a problem, I have an external keyboard plugged in most of the time. The only problem I can forsee at the moment is SDL 2.2 compiling for the ARM, I'll head over to the SDL development site to see if I can get any info in that.

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-21, 04:10

Just to clarify myself here, Flare is a game engine for RPG games that use hi-res graphics. I know the two are different, ( widelands and Flare) but the underlying build system look similar as is the graphics requirements

Top Quote
Ron_of_Nord
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-04-22, 10:48

I think I have cracked the problem, the linux code should work, the only problem with Android is going to be the Java interface for the baseline game code. I dont program much in Java or C, I spend a lot of time writing software in Forth and assembler, even for my laptop and tablet. I'll have to brush up on the nuances of such an interface. hmmm.. I think I will take a good look on how the Arm Flare code was done, might provide some insights...

Top Quote